Monday, May 17, 2010
St. Rita Elementary School
After Kindergarden, my first experience with school was at St. Rita. It was basically walking distance from my house and after a few years, I was walking there or back every day. I spent my first eight years of school there. Then, elementary school was eight years, then you went to high school for the four remaining. Most of my teachers then were nuns. A few were lay teachers, but most nuns. The home for the nuns was across the street from the school. It was a two story brick building and I have only seen the inside a few times. I had mostly good teachers then although a few bad ones who probably should not have been teaching. One of my teachers, I think for 6th grade, had one false eye. I remember she used to take it out to clean it and everyone freaked out when she did. She was a good teacher though. She helped me when I wanted to play football and I was able to get on the team. The church (St. Rita) was also located near the school (across the street the other way). We used to have to go to church every morning. The boys fooled around a lot too. I remember picking the leather strings off William Basco's jacked when he was kneeling in front of me. He was a lot bigger than me and probably could whip me but he was really just a gentle giant and just would not do that. All in all, it was a great eight years at St. Rita Elementary school....and then on to Menard High School!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment